Tuesday, March 8, 2011

C2S Cooks: Almond and Linseed Pancake for Pancake Tuesday

Today is Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday if you prefer. If you have been stopping to smell the roses the past few days, you would have gotten snippets and wafts of articles and news advertising pancakes and the like.

Pancake Tuesday

Even my work canteen got into the spirit of things and when I checked the weekly menu, they were going to serve pancakes for lunch today. I was so excited and was really looking forward to it. Lunchtime came and up I zipped to the canteen to get me some pancakes. Alas! I was not expecting disappointment. My work canteen served a sweet version of lemon and sugar or savoury version with choices of ham, mushroom, cheese etc... I can’t possibly just have a sweet pancake for lunch and highly doubted that I will enjoy it that much either due to the recent mountain load of work that seems never-ending. So disappointingly, I ordered a savoury version. All I got was a measly slice of pancake with ham and mushroom which took me a mere 5 minutes to eat before rushing back to work that still left me still feeling hungry after.


Without any warning, I started to develop a craving for some buttery lemon and sugar pancake throughout the afternoon. Figured the best way to deal with this is to make my own for dinner.

I decided to make something different and chanced upon a recipe in one of my books titled ‘Neris & India’s Idiot-Proof Diet Cookbook’. LOL! Unexpected right?

This recipe will work for those looking for something gluten free and is packed with loads of good nutrition stuff.


Pancake Tuesday

Adapted from recipe
Ingredients:
•40g ground flaxseed
•100g ground almond flour
•2 tsp cinnamon (grounded)
•20g butter
•4 eggs
•200ml milk
•1 tsp baking powder
• Lemon
• Sugar


Preparation:

1. Mix the flaxseed, almond flour, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, butter, milk and whisk.
3. Add the two mixtures together and stir until it is well mixed.

Directions:

Heat up your frying pan, I tend to use an oil spray can so that I still greased up the pan without overdoing it (healthy tip!). Pour some of the batter into the frying pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
If you want a lemon and sugar pancake, sprinkle some sugar on the batter while it is cooking. There is something indulgent and just wickedly wonderful to see the sugar melting and sinking into the batter.

Once the batter is cooked, flip over to cook the other side.

Done!

Pancake Tuesday

Serve it up by squeezing lemon juice and sprinkling some sugar. I actually added a dollop of burnt honey butter that I bought from Momofuku.

I actually really like this pancake, is best to eat it while still warm. It is light and fluffy with a slight nutty taste coming from the almond and linseed.




2 comments:

  1. Oooh, gluten free pancake. that sounds interesting indeed. Was the consistency still the same as a regular one? I bet the almond flour added something a little extra too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grubworm - Hello! It still has the same consistency as a light thin fluffy base but with nutty notes in it. I made mine thin but think it should be the same with thick pancakes too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...