Thursday, August 4, 2011

Burgers in London

There are many places offering burgers in town and you will find yourself inexplicably eating one living here. 

Here are the few that I find myself inexplicably eating most often. 

GBK

Kiwi burger
Beef, beetroot, egg, pineapple, aged cheddar, salad, mayo and relish £8.95

When I find myself at GBK, I always find myself ordering the kiwi burger. The beetroot, egg and pineapple always draws me in and blinds me to anything else. 

It's a decently good burger and definitely tastes better than say going to the Golden Arches. At least I get beetroot, egg and pineapple.  

You also get to contribute 25p to charity and help save the kiwi in Whakatane. 


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Gourmet Burger Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Another place hard to miss is Byron

skinny - bun free with side salad
BYRON
Dry cure bacon, mature Cheddar and Byronsauces £7.25
Here, it is the choice of having your burgers as a skinny (bun free) that I like. It lets me indulge in having bacon in my burger in replacement of the buns. 

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes


Byron on Urbanspoon

Hawksmoor
IMG_6480
Third Burger
My favourite place for burgers which I crave and occasionally dream about is Hawksmoor. I've tried the Hawksmoor, I've even tried the kimchi burger, and the third burger on offer is just titled as a special burger. 
When I was there, it happened to be Rarebit burger. 100% Longhorn burger patty topped with Welsh Rarebit, Montgomery Cheddar and Porter from the Kernel brewery in Bermondsey. Say the magic words 'Fried Egg on top' and I am sold! It also comes with deep fried pickles on the side.

IMG_6473

I didn't enjoy this as much as the Hawksmoor burger, the longhorn and rarebit mix did not complement each other completely. Deep fried pickles and the side of chips are to die for though and washing it down with a salted caramel shake was awesome. 

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: No

Hawksmoor (Seven Dials) on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. The Hawksmoor burger (call it the classic if you will) is my current favourite. I know I should give the 'Third burger' a go but I just can't tear myself from the original. Tried the kimchi in another visit and found it... well, interesting.

    As for GBK, I found the burgers there rather dry but they often have quite good deals. More importantly, they are part of the London Taste Card promotion.

    What about Byron? They aren't too shabby either, are they? At least the one in Islington is almost always packed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. London Chow - I can't really tear myself away from the classic Hawksmoor either! Agree about the kimchi being interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Byron @ Byron! ;) It's my go-to burger place in London - yummy burgers at a decent price (and they are pretty much everywhere). I've heard about the GBK Kiwi Burger & its flavour combination which I have to admit sounds a bit weird... But everybody has told me the combination just works! Well, I'll have to try it then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like GBK but not for its Kiwi burger. To me, beetroot and pineapple have no place in a burger.

    PS: I wonder who put beetroot in burgers first? The Aussies or the Kiwis?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...