Thursday, November 17, 2011

C2S Cooks: Turkey and aubergine in black bean sauce

What do you find yourself doing when you're about to travel away for a few weeks? Are you a last minute packer or one of those that starts a week before? Do you have a packing and to-do list of all the things that need to be sorted?

One of the things that I do is to open my fridge to see what perishable items need to be eaten or risk them spoiling away. At times like this, a racking of the brain and some creativity is required as you could have odd combination of ingredients and need to make a dish out of it.

I rummaged my fridge and found an aubergine ( which I regularly buy to perfect my Nasu Dengaku), oyster mushrooms and turkey meat.





Rather than sticking to the traditional stir fry, I recently discovered that many stir fry dishes can be steamed as well. Steamed dishes tend to require less effort and touted to be healthier as the vitamins tend to retained better. So it is that I decided to use the steaming method for this.

After more rummaging and prepping, I set up the steamer and voila, it was cooked in less than 20 minutes.

The diced turkey meat was tender and steamed aubergine eliminates any oiliness and it retains a hardier texture which I quite like. The black bean sauce having mixed with the juices now had a mild savoury taste that was wonderful to just sip. I am liking this steaming method.


Recipe

Ingredients
  • 300g turkey meat
  • 1 aubergine
  • 100g oyster mushroom
Marinade
  • 1 tsp diced garlic
  • 2 tbsp shaoxing wine
  • 1 tbsp black bean sauce
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp oil
  • Pinch of white pepper
Preparation:
  • Diced the turkey meat, garlic, aubergine and oyster mushroom.
  • Mix the marinade and toss in the turkey meat (marinade for 1/2 hours - 1 hour).
  • Arrange the oyster mushroom and aubergine onto a plate. 
  • You can add any other ingredients that you have too, I had some tomatoes which I chucked in as well.
  • Add the turkey meat and marinade to the plate.
  • Steam for 15 minutes or until cooked.
  • Garnish with coriander (optional).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...