Sunday, November 6, 2011

PlusixFive Supperclub, London

I seem to be attending quite a number of supper clubs lately. This time is the baby entry that started this year, PlusixFive. I have to say that growing up from that region, I probably had high expectations and it totally exceeded them on many levels. Let's start from the beginning. 

Goz greets and chats with everyone when they first arrive. In fact, he is the only host I have experienced so far who comes around and asks you about the food and just to chat every half hour or so. I do wonder whether he ever tires of the numerous times he gets asks certain questions like "how did that poster come about!" though. 

We had crackers to start of with while waiting for other guests to arrive.  

Chwee Kueh


First course was Chwee Kueh which are steamed rice cakes with diced preserved radish. Rice cakes by itself are quite bland and the preserved radish is what gives the needed flavour and texture. 


As I took my first bite, followed by the second and third and next thing you know, it was demolished in a flash. Just one word - delicious! The rice pudding was the right texture, soft and yielding to the bite, perfect with the salty and crunchy radish. 

Satay


Plonk! came the satays next. 

Satays are bite-sized pieces of meat that are put onto skewers (usually bamboo) and grilled. These are usually done outdoors over charcoal fire. Satay stalls are easy to spot by the smoke and smell of grilled meat surrounding it. All that smokiness  leaves a mark on the grilled meat for that extra charr taste. Add in the condiments - peanut sauce, onions and sticky rice wrapped and cooked in banana leaves and I'm in cloud nine. 

Goz's satays put many London restaurants who offer this on their menu to shame. While I would have preferred my peanut sauce crunchier and bolder, I was happy with what was served in front of me. 


Rojak

I love fruit rojak, I remember falling in love with the rojak made by a father and son at a street stall and it was so popular that if you're not early, they run out. I used to have it all the time as it was close to my workplace. When I stopped working there, I would drive that 20 minutes or more just to eat it. What makes it so special from this father and son creation? It was the abundance of ground nuts and that inexplicable sauce!



I haven't had fruit rojak in years and eating it here brought back all those memories. It did not take much persuasion or hesitation to finish it up either. 

Fried Chicken


Fried Chicken was next and unfortunately the fried skin had turned soggy as this was fried earlier during the day I guess. Merely a timing issue. 



Tofu with preserved egg


A cold and refreshing dish of tofu and century egg came next which is usually associate with being a Taiwanese or Jiangsu province dish if I'm not mistaken. 

Teochew Braised Duck


Teochew cuisine originates from the Guangdong province in China and is considered a healthier cuisine due to the methods of cooking and flavour. Braised dishes are particularly well known and here we have the Teochew braised duck. The combination of herbs and soy sauce blends and results in a dish that is full of flavour with a rich and salty depth. A few of us definitely asked for second helpings of rice to mop up more of this sauce. 

Goz then brought over a tiny teaser (maybe it was meant to be a tester) of beef rendang.



Beef rendang




Rendang is made from beef that is slowly cooked in coconut milk and spices for several hours until almost all the liquid has evaporated, allowing the meat to absorb the spicy condiments. The slow cooking process allows the meat to absorb all the spices and to become tender. 

I remember the best version I had which became my favourite was when I was invited to a Malay family's house for dinner. Theirs was a semi-dry version which from that first time, was my favourite. Most other places that I have tried since then tend to be more liquid and I still search to this day in vain for the beef rendang that is exactly how I like it. 

Oh Man! I hit the pot of gold as Goz made it exactly how I like it. My only complaint is, 'Goz, you should have given us bigger portions.'



Vegetable


The last of the main dishes was a vegetarian dish known as Buddha's Delight and it is nice to have some vegetables after all that meat. Buddha's Delight is a vegetarian dish that was traditionally started and enjoyed by Buddhist monks.

Palate cleanser


A palate cleanser of shaved ice with lime and honey sea coconut was next. I thought that the lime and honey sea coconut combo was a bit mismatched and it was too tangy for my taste.

Gula melaka ice cream and tapioca


I always look forward to desserts and the Gula Melaka ice cream was ambrosial and I love it. 

Kuih


That was only one of the desserts and we also had Kuih Bengka (Tapioca cake).



Following from that, Goz asked if we wanted coffee called Papa Palheta and we tried this coffee that has hit Singapore by storm and was brewed in an Eva Solo and served in a typical cup and saucer in a typical coffee shop to be found in Singapore.


Kopi

The highlights for me were the selection of food that were both flavourful and homely and brought back a lot of memories. There were some outstanding dishes while some were not so but I don't doubt his cooking at all and with time, it can and will only get better. There is a special vibe of friendliness and sincerity from the +65 team that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

I can see myself coming back again, especially for a seafood feast!

For details, please click here
When I went, the suggested minimum donation was £30.



Edible Experiences

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic night- thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this does look good. I know next to nothing about Malaysian food, but that Rendang sounds bloomin' fantastic. I really like the look of the egg and tofu combo and the tapioca looks moist and sweet. I should look +65 up as it looks like a great place to explore a new(ish) cuisine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks fantastic, ahhh flavours of home...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...