Thursday, December 15, 2011

Slightly off the beaten trail with Grand Imperial, Cha Cha Moon, Ho Lee and Lotus Floating


Grand Imperial

Isn't it amazing how time passes by so quickly? There is barely a month left in 2011 and I can still remember when it was only January. The same goes with catching up with friends and after not seeing a friend of mine in a few months, we both made a concerted effort to meet up. Even this itself wasn't easy as she is always either travelling or have something on, otherwise it will be me in the same situation. Finally, we found a mutually convenient date and we ended up heading to Grand Imperial for dinner.


The Grand Imperial restaurant is relatively new-ish and has a very plush décor setting. Its main entrance within the Grosvenor hotel had these huge doors with invite you into a warm glow light that immediately places you at ease. Use the side door next to Victoria station and you don't get the same effect.


Our dinner party were on a 6 course dinner menu with champagne included that was from one of those online deals. While waiting for the others to arrive, the early people started sipping on the champagne.



When everyone arrived, the meal started with half a crispy aromatic duck arriving at our table. The meat was just a tad on the dry side but the skin was very crispy and we really enjoyed it.



北京片皮鴨 Roasted Peking duck Served with Pancakes £24.00

The hot and sour soup with lobster followed after and you do get a nice juicy piece of lobster in your soup. The spiciness of the soup brought out the sweetness of the lobster without overpowering it. The two flavours that I got from the soup was (numbness on the tongue) and (spicy). It was deliciously satisfying.


Szechuan Hot & Sour Soup with Lobster 四川酸辣龍蝦羹 £8.00

The two main dishes arrived next starting with the scallop, prawn and broccoli in XO chilli sauceIt was easy to either overcook scallops or otherwise still have it raw in the middle, no such problems here as the timing was just right and they were delicious.




Sautéed Scallop, Prawn and Broccoli in XO Chilli Sauce XO 醬西蘭花帶子蝦球 £24.00
Sautéed Beef Cube with Black Pepper Sauce 黑椒牛柳粒 £18.00

The beef cubes were juicy and tender and the black pepper sauce added a much needed palate tickle.



A rice based dish finally arrived in the form of glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf. Neither oily nor greasy, with a much lighter flavour overall. It was almost like a healthier version but still pleasing.

Finally, we were onto the dessert. I love everything green tea and most times I find that there isn't enough of the green tea flavour. This had just enough to satisfy green tea lovers but not too much that it will put off the non-lovers.

Grand Imperial Green Tea Brûlée 焦糖綠茶布丁 £7.00

We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and I was impressed with the standard coming from a restaurant that is situated within a hotel. However, the prices charged are definitely significantly higher which you would then at least expect the standard and quality to be at what it is. Though it is good, I'm not sure if this will be a place that I would recommend as a regular option. No doubt it is way better than Goldfish who charges similar prices.

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: I expect it to be at this standard given the prices.


Grand Imperial101 Buckingham Palace Road, LondonSW1

Grand Imperial on Urbanspoon


Cha Cha Moon


Cha Cha MoonDolly mee goreng

Sze Chuan wonton

I was meeting up with some friends and we somehow ended up at Cha Cha Moon. Though everything was perfectly edible, the flavour was too bland and portion sizes were small. It just didn't leave too much of a footprint that I see myself coming back.


Will I recommend: No
Will I come back: No
Have I had better: Yes

Cha Cha Moon,  15-21 Ganton StreetLondonW1F 9BN

Cha Cha Moon on Urbanspoon

Ho Lee

When I read a few positive reviews on Ho Lee, I was excited as it was in the East and a good discovery is always welcomed.


Beancurd hot pot
Beancurd hot pot £6


Sliced lamb in ginger and onion
Sliced lamb with ginger and onions

Butterfly prawns
Butterfly prawns

I came here for dinner with a friend but have to say that it was just decent. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this place and those butterfly prawns are just wrong!


Will I recommend: No
Will I come back: No
Have I had better: Yes

Ho Lee,  207-209 East India Dock Road, PoplarLondonE14 0ED

Ho Lee on Urbanspoon


Lotus Floating


I've written about Lotus Floating at the beginning of the year when I organised a CNY 'poon choi' banquet. Besides the 'poon choi' and dim sum, they also offer regular dining fare which I came a few times to try.


Braised beef and beef tendon £9.5
Braised beef and beef tendons £9.5

Jap tofu with crabmeat and mixed seafood £12
Jap tofu with crabmeat and mixed seafood £12

Poached chicken with dried scallop in superior broth
Poached chicken with dried scallop in superior broth £8.5

Pea shoot, chinese fungus with jap tofu £9.50
Pea shoot, chinese fungus with jap tofu £9.50

Spicy salt and pepper squid £12
Spicy salt and pepper squid £12


The food is tasty and with reasonable prices that won't break the bank. The standard and quality of the dishes are above par on many of the offerings in Chinatown. Definitely worth considering for a normal satisfying meal out.


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes




Lotus Floating, 38 Limeharbour , Poplar, E14 9RH

Lotus Chinese Floating on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...