Saturday, December 10, 2011

Vietnamese eateries in London: Cay Tre, Viet Grill, Tay Do & Cafe East (Part 1)

One of my friends whom I hang out a lot with, SC is Vietnamese and that also meant that we will have gone to our fair share of Viet eateries around London. 



Here are a few of those that I have been. 


Cafe East

Picture 108

My favourite place for pho is still Cafe East. Whether it is a cold wintry day or just when you are craving some broth based noodles, the pho from here always hits the spot. It is still the best that I've had in London. 

Picture 106






I've also tried nearly everything else on their menu. 


Will I recommend: Highly
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: No

Cafe East, 100 Redriff Road, Rotherhithe SE16  

Cafe East on Urbanspoon


Cay Tre


Everything was ordered by my foodie in crime, SC. I'm not sure what we ordered but they were good.

Picture 133

Picture 134Picture 135
Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Cay Tre301 Old St, LondonUK EC1Y


Cay Tre on Urbanspoon


Viet grill


We all gave out a laugh when we saw a little square on the side of the menu that said 'Recession proof meal'. That was a 2 course for £10 and why not so we went ahead and ordered that. 

From the appetisers, you get a choice of either the Grand Imperial spring roll, chilli squid or lotus stem salad.

Imperial spring rollLotus stem salad
Chilli squidRice vermicelli


With the mains, you get to pick one from their main dishes and we all went with the vermicelli salad.
At this price, you get a decent and tasty fare that you can't complain about.
Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Viet Grill, 58 Kingsland Rd, Hackney E2

Viet Grill The Vietnamese Kitchen on Urbanspoon


Tay Do

As with places around Old Street, I find decent and tasty food but nothing that gives off any fireworks. This applied to Tay Do as well when I tried their chargrilled mince pork with rice paper and salad, rice vermicelli and pho.
Chargrilled mince pork with rice paper and saladPhoRice vermicellii
Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Tay Do, 60-64 Kingsland Rd, London E2

Tay Do on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I've still not been to Cafe East - must make the trip out there sometime, as I see they also do banh cuon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...