Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sushi Rio


This Japanese restaurant has been open for a few months now and I've always meant to try it. Somehow, I've always ended up at Takeru instead previously which was just a few doors away. This time, I went there specifically and had the company of my mom with me.

Sushi Rio is essentially a sushi train restaurant but I discovered, to my delight that some of their creations and concoctions were unique and not the everyday stuff you find in other sushi train restaurants.



There were sashimi plates but wonderfully decorated on little bamboo platters.


Meatball dish that was delicious which I cannot remember what it was!


Eel sushi

You don't really see restaurants give you so much eel that it spills to the sides or other type of seafood either. It was only in Japan where it seems to be the norm. Most restaurants like to cut costs where they can, I guess.



Halfway through our meal, I smell something burning. It was some torching actions happening. Managed to snap a pic! Lightly scorched sushi, that was a first I've seen.


Trio of raw prawns, beef slice sushi and avocado. Something different and more choices in 1 plate.



Of course, I had to try their steamed egg custard. It was so light and creamy. As good as the one that I've had when I went for the Kaiseiki cooking class. It was steamed just perfect.



I love fish roe and this came with 2 kinds and wrapped in sashimi.


Tuna and salmon quartet

Couldn't resist the desserts that kept passing us.


Cheesecake

Flavour of cheese is not too strong so for those who are not fans of cheese, this should go down well.

Glutinous rice cake (strawberry)


Total Score ~ 19.5/25
[Taste - 8.5(10) , Presentation - 4 (5), Service - 3.5 (5), Value for Money - 3.5(5)]



Location:

Shop7, 339 Sussex Street
Sydney
Tel: 9261 2388

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review-I've often walked past this and wondered what it was like. It looks a bit like a club or boutique at first lol The sushi looks great and I am a bit fan of blowtorched sushi! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...