Monday, March 28, 2011

C2S Travels: Washington Day 1

I decided to take a train rather than by air from New York to Washington. Leaving the hotel when the sun is still asleep is no fun as I made my way to Penn station to take the Acela Express.

While walking into the station, I was greeted by a homeless man who was clearly drunk and this was at 6 in the morning. I walked silently away only to have him follow me into the lift. Luckily there was another Guy in there who told him off saying that he is holding up the lift. Drunken man tapped me on the shoulder and said I'll talk to you later, I Nodded and said ok and then....*scurried away*.

What a way to start my journey to Washington. The train ride was really pleasant and they even have wifi!

Boston south station
Washington South Station

With half a day left to explore, I went off in search of some lunch which took to me to Georgetown University. Pit stop breaks for some lunch. From there it was a 6 blocks walk to Lincoln memorial.


abraham lincoln


Washington reminds me a little of Canberra. Large open spaces, no sky rises and lined with government buildings. It was a really nice sunny day considering that it was winter and it was just so peaceful. Bar the regular interruption of ambulance and police sirens.

WWII memorial 2

Managed to visit the WWII memorial, White house and finished with the national archives. There is so much history and the whole place just amazes you. Seeing the White House, the much revered Declaration of Independence and Constitution was just amazing.

I was so sad that the FBI have temporarily closed their visitor’s tour. That would have been really interesting. Needless to say, I was really tired by this point as I walked everywhere!

chinatown 3

Last stop was Chinatown for dinner. Washington's Chinatown is only manned by about 20 plus shops and restaurant which is quite dismal. What did I eat? Click here.

That's it for day 1 as I walked back to my hotel from Chinatown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...