Friday, October 14, 2011

Bincho, Kyoto, Abeno Too (Part 3/5)

Bincho Yakitori

"There's a place that's quite good and you should try it", says T to me one day. They do skewers.

I still remember my wonderful experience in Kyoto of yakitori skewers. Bincho is good and can be quite pricey actually as those sticks can suddenly add up to quite a bit. 


Picture 026Picture 025Picture 031Picture 028Picture 027
(Kwa £3, Sori chicken oyster £4, Aigamo £4.4, Uzurabacon quail eggs and bacon £3.6, Kushi Hitsuji lamb £4, Unagi £10, Asparabacon £3.6, Enokibacon £3.6, Yaki – onigiri £2.5, Tori yaki meshi £9)


Picture 030
Nasu dengaku £3.2

Picture 033
Banana cake £5.75 Soymilk doughnuts £5

The highlights for me here were the chicken oyster, uzurabacon and soymilk doughnuts. 

You definitely can't compare to what can be eaten in Japan and in that sense, doesn't beat my Japan experience. 

Have I found an alternative to Bincho in London? The answer to that is no. So if you are keen on skewers, head here. 


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes


Bincho Yakitori, 16 Old Compton Street, London W1D 4TL
Bincho Yakitori on Urbanspoon




Kyoto

Kyoto resides next to Eat Tokyo in Soho but the standard given by both differs quite distinctly. 

Picture 056
Nasu Dengaku £5

Picture 057
Katsu Curry £9

Picture 054
Chirashi £11.50

The food was quite underwhelming and unmemorable. I think I'll be sticking to its neighbour for my Japanese kick!



Will I recommend: No
Will I come back: No
Have I had better: Yes


Kyoto, 26 Romilly Street, London, W1D 5AL

Kyoto on Urbanspoon


Abeno Too

I passed Abeno Too plenty of times and as the only place easily accessible that offers Okonomiyaki, diners aren't left with many choices. I finally found myself heading here after the longest time and was looking forward to some awesome Okonomiyaki. 

Picture 020
Okonomiyaki £11.50 – £13.50

Picture 021

The Okonomiyaki was unexciting-ly ordinary. I enjoyed my dessert more actually which was the coffee jelly. 

If you've not had coffee jelly before, do try if you see it on a menu. There is something about Sweetness of the jelly with bitter coffee that harmonises well. 



Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: No
Have I had better: Yes



Abeno Too, 17-18 Great Newport Street, London WC2H 7JE

Abeno Too on Urbanspoon
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Bincho has been on my list forever, but still haven't got round to visiting.

    Of the others, I'm struck by some of the prices (this is turning into an obsession) £9 for a katsu curry? And apx £12 for an okonomiyaki? These are traditionally budget Japanese dishes, but the prices aren't exactly cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Noodles - Bincho can really add up in terms of ££. and yes, I wasn't too impressed with the price being charge either...say with the okonomiyaki!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...