Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tsuru Sushi & Sushi Hiroba (Part 5/5)

Tsuru Sushi

I first heard about Tsuru Sushi after reading about it from Catty and her infectious love for green tea mochi resonates with me as well. 

So it was only a matter of time before I made my way here. I have to say that trying to find their Bishopsgate branch is not very easy and there was some walking around in circles to look for it. 

Once found, I happily settled waiting for the orders to arrive. 


Picture 009
Sashimi moriawase £14.25

Sliced just right that the sashimi is silky and smooth, it was eaten with pleasure. 


IMG_5361
Soft shell ‘spider’ crab tempura uramaki £8.45

The soft shell crab tempura was a little greasy which took away the nice crispy crunch associated with this. 

Picture 011 (10)
Edamame £2.6

The edamame is standard fare and does well as an appetiser or if you just can't get enough of them. 


Picture 011 (6)
Chicken yakitori £4.25

Picture 011 (7)
Chicken karaage £4.55

IMG_5364
Pork and vegetable gyoza £4.75 -£5.75

I tried both the pork and vegetable gyoza and both are delicious juicy little parcels. 


Picture 013
Aburi Saba
Seared cured mackerel sashimi with English mustard £5.1

The smell and taste of mackerel is quite strong and if you don't like mackerel or strong fish smells, you might want to skip this one. Otherwise, I like the mustard and mackerel combination, it is not the usual pairing but I guess you need a strong condiment like mustard to match the mackerel. 

IMG_5363
Nasu Dengaku £4.75

The very first time I had the nasu Dengaku here in Tsuru, it was the best that I've ever had. The aubergine was so soft that it was almost melting in your mouth. The sweet and savoury combination of the caramelised miso engulfs you with it's scent and was just to die for. 

Sadly, that seems to have been the only time that it was THAT good in Tsuru or anywhere else I've tried. I’m beginning to wonder whether the chef has changed. 

Picture 011 (9)
Tonkatsu curry £8.20

I've had the the tonkatsu curry a few times and it seems to suffer from consistency issues. It was just right the first time, the second time was too salty and the third time too bland?!


Picture 015
Mochi Ice (Green tea, yuzu, sesame) £3.85

This always hits the spot with my favourite surprisingly being the yuzu. 

Strangely, the standard seems to drop just that little bit more with each time that I come back. 


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Not in London

Tsuru Sushi, 201 Bishopsgate, City, London EC2M 3AB
www.tsuru-sushi.co.uk

Tsuru Sushi on Urbanspoon


Sushi Hiroba

I passed Sushi Hiroba many times when I'm around the Holborn area in search of lunch. I do wonder why I never consider it. Deciding to change that, this was the chosen venue when I met up with a friend of mine for lunch. 

We are both early lunchers and were the first ones seated while the staff were still prepping and getting the place ready. We didn't mind at all and was happy to indulge in the cool air conditioning as it was a rare sunny day. We both enjoyed the food very much, tasty and decent.


Picture 002Picture 003Picture 004Picture 005Picture 006Picture 007Picture 008Picture 009


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes

Sushi Hiroba, 50-54 Kingsway, Holborn, London WC2B 6EP

Sushi Hiroba on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, i really like the look of that mackerel. I love the strong meaty tasty of the fish, and the mustard would cut the oiliness. The other particularly good looking thing there is the yuzu mochi. I've never tried that, but i love mochi and i love yuzu. So what could possibly be bad about the combo?

    I've been meaning to try Tsuru for a while and this is just adding more impetus to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grubworm - I think you would like that mackerel. and OMG!!! Yuzu mochi......love love love!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...