It started snowing during the weekend and the following days brought about butt-cold winds and shivering temperatures. Your body really protests walking around in the cold and after a period of regular bouts of the flu, I decided that I should turn back to eating better by some home cooking.
With that in mind, I rummage through the kitchen and decided to make a steamed dish. I decided on steamed chicken with red dates. Steaming is actually really easy and requires little effort.
Slice the meat into pieces, mix it in a few ingredients to marinade. You can use any meat really from chicken to beef to pork etc...
Place it in a steamer and after 20 minutes or so, you have a delicious and healthy dish. I decided to add in some carrots and green beans that I had in my fridge into the mix, you can add any vegetables you fancy as it is really that versatile.
Pair it with a bowl of rice and indulge!
Steamed Chicken with Red Dates
- 300g chicken meat
- couple of red dates
- 2 carrots
- 100g green beans
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp shao xing wine
- sprinkle of sea salt
- dashes of white pepper powder
- Slice the chicken meat into bite size pieces
- Mix the marinade into the chicken pieces
- Add in half of the red dates, and mix the marinade well so that it coats the chicken pieces
- Cover and leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes
- Add in the remaining red dates and steam over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes
- Halfway through, add in the carrots and green beans
- Steam until chicken pieces and vegetables are cooked.