Monday, June 20, 2011

Spuntino, Soho

Picture 035


Talk about taking my time to finally dine here and I ended up going here and its newest addition, Da Polpo in consecutive days. Maybe it's partly the no reservation policy which makes it hard to pick when making plans.
Finally, I tried my luck during the weekend and lady luck was on my side and my dining companion and I got the last two available seats sans the kissing seat!

With a hungry companion, we made our minds up quick and placed our orders. While waiting for our food to arrive, we were served with a mug of popcorn.

Picture 034

Chilli and salt popcorn I think it was. I got myself a whole load of salt in the first one I ate and that was enough for me.

Picture 041
Eggs & Soldiers £3.50

The soldiers were rectangular slices of toast smeared with butter with just the right toasty texture to it. The humble egg unfortunately was cooked for a tad too long and the yolk was no longer semi-liquid runny. Dip your toast in and you come up with nothing.

Picture 046
Spiced Mackerel Slider £4.50

Of all sliders, decided to slightly less conventional and went for the spiced mackerel. My dining companion didn't quite like it but this was freshly made and was interesting and tasty enough for me.

Picture 044
Truffled Egg toast £5.50

Huge thick slice of toast topped with a layer of volcanic looking melting Foltina cheese, add in the truffles and a half cooked egg nestled in the centre. You could smell the truffle even from a distance. This is artery-clogging stuff that is just delicious.

Picture 042
Eggplant chips, fennel yoghurt £4

Coated in a crispy batter with sesame seeds thrown in, this had a crunchy exterior encasing the soft silky eggplant. The fennel yoghurt adds a cool and refreshing tang to it.

Picture 047
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich £6

With so many glowing reviews, I definitely made sure I must have this. I have fond memories of the jars of peanut butter and jelly that my parents used to buy from the supermarket. Slap it between slices of bread and I loved having PB&J sandwiches.

Picture 048

Now Spuntino's version is different from what I used to eat as a kid. The peanut butter is shaped into bread slices and the jelly is made with raspberry. The peanut butter was not overpowering which will sit well with those who don’t love it. This is made up to the lovers by the quantity of peanut butter you get. The raspberry adds tartness and lightens the overall balance. I really love love love this!

Spuntino is my favourite after having dined at Polpetto and Da Polpo. I like the music played, the energy of the staff and the whole atmosphere and vibe that Spuntino emits.


Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes with the exception being the Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich


Spuntino, 61 Rupert Street, Soho W1D 7PW
www.spuntino.co.uk


Spuntino on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Glad you finally made it to Spuntino, looking at the pics I think I really should go back! I agree, much nicer and more fun than the other restaurants of this group (mind you, haven't tried Polpetto yet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ute - Have tried 3 out of the 4 so far...but this is still my FAV! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get back to Spuntino to try their savoury dishes. I too love their PB&J! Not fond of Polpo though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...