Monday, August 8, 2011

Sun Luen, Chinatown: My choice for egg tarts

Picture 410


I love eggs and I can have it all the time and love it cooked in many ways. So it's not too surprised that I do adore a good egg tart.

After sampling many in London, I found my go to place for a good one which is Sun Luen in Chinatown.

Egg tarts are best eaten fresh off the oven and still warm but a good one taste just as good even if left overnight and this was where Sun Luen got me.

The pastry itself is just the right thickness that it is dense enough to taste the buttery texture but thin enough that it is flaky and has an ever so slight grainy crunch. The egg filling itself was smooth and silky and soft and its perfume is strong enough to tease and draw you in.

I love them and happily buy them for friends too. So if you're in Chinatown and craving egg tarts, do give this place a try and let me know what you think.

Will I recommend: Yes
Will I come back: Yes
Have I had better: Yes but not in London

Sun Luen, 14 Little Newport Street, Leicester Square WC2H 7JJ

Sun Luen on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I sometimes buy the egg custard tarts from Sun Luen, love them! I don't like their (not sure of spelling) Jen Doy as much as other places though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kavey - Haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip, think i'll stick to egg tarts from there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very handy egg custard tart tip - good to hear you have tested them all out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I ever had a Chinese egg tart... seems I really missed out, will try Su Luen, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They red bean cakes are nice too. I agree that their egg tarts are nice but they do not have the version with the flaky pastry which some prefer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...