Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Cake 烤南瓜糕




It seems best to start the first post of 2012 with a recipe. Hopefully, this is a sign of more to come.

We are barely into day 5 of 2012 and there are lots of changes and plans that I see. I don't quite know how the year will turn out but I am nervous yet excited all the same.

A regular thread that I'm going to see emerging are the constant challenges that I set for myself and committing to them. The ball started rolling with a home cooked dinner and now I'm onto a new project which I will keep mum for now.

When I attended Kavey's birthday a few months ago, she only requested that we make dessert and a copy of the recipe. I've always focused on western desserts but for her, I decided to look towards my ethnic origin and make something different. As pumpkins were in season, I made a pumpkin cake but kuih-style.

It was entering unknown frontiers but I was happy with the result. It tasted just like the ones in my childhood memories. You could really smell the pumpkin aroma and it has a dense soft sticky texture.


Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1kg pumpkin
  • 700 ml water
  • 300g flour
  • 300g sugar
  • 350ml coconut milk
  • 4 egg
  • Pinch butter

Method

  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
  • Cut pumpkin into dices, place in a pot of water and boil until soft.
  • Mash the pumpkin.
  • Beat the eggs and set aside.
  • Mix the flour, sugar and coconut milk with the mashed pumpkin, add in the eggs and mix well.
  • Grease a baking tray with some butter and pour the pumpkin batter into the tray.
  • Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...