Monday, September 12, 2011

Book Review: Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

It is currently 1.30am in the morning and I should be sleeping. I rolled around the bed and found myself reaching for my phone to write this. A sudden moment of inspired writing should not be passed and the words flew from my fingers like arrows shooting through the air. What inspired me so? It is this very book, Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl.

Let's go back to the beginning of how it started.  So it was on a fine summer evening that I find myself heading to the west for a dinner date with Su-Lin, Wen and Sam.

The date destination was Chilli Cool which we all heard much about and decided to try for ourselves. The food itself did not live up to expectations but the company was something else. And when you get a bunch of people who loves food and some who adds reading into the list, I find myself being suggested certain books.



So it was at the end of the dinner that Wen pulled out her Garlic and Sapphires book and recommended it. And I, becoming intrigued with this story about a restaurant critic who puts herself in disguises to remain anonymous to review places. I came home and reserved it from my local library that very night itself.

Which brings us back to the present where with the book in hand, I brought it along one of my travels and upon reading the first page, I was hooked.

This isn't just about a restaurant critic; Ruth has a writing style where you feel like you are right next to her going through all her experiences. She shares her thoughts, her vulnerabilities, her friends, her life and her food experiences. With each experience that she decided to include in the book, the actual review article is included as well. I loved her reviews which flows like a river stream and so easy to read that the only reason why I reluctantly placed the book next to my bed to go to sleep was because the words in the pages have started to turn blurry which prevented me from reading any longer.

I am barely midway through the book and it is one of those 'You can't place it down till it is finished' kind of book. I have to thank Wen for introducing me to this book and I would like to share it with you.

I think I now have another extra section to my food blog for books that intrigued and inspire me. If you have read this book, I am curious to know what you think. If you haven't, I say get your hands on one and flip to page 1 and start reading.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...